The accomplishments of five exceptional individuals will be recognized this May with honorary degrees at Saint Mary’s University’s Spring Convocation 2017.
The University is pleased to recognize the extraordinary achievements of:
- William (Bill) Ritchie, a Nova Scotian financier, entrepreneur, mentor, angel investor, and Nova Scotia film industry co-founder. Mr. Ritchie will be receiving his Doctor of Commerce, Honoris Causa on May 17, 2017.
- Louise Bradley, CEO of the Mental Health Commission of Canada and a healthcare leader and pioneer who has dedicated her professional life to improving the mental health of Canadians. Ms. Bradley will be receiving her Doctor of Science, Honoris Causa on May 18, 2017.
- Dr. Joseph Jabbra, President of the Lebanese American University, author and senior administrator who has played an important role in North America in accreditation for university and college programs. Dr. Jabbra will receive his Doctor of Civil Law, Honoris Causa on May 18, 2017.
- John S. Fitzpatrick, Q.C., a senior partner at BOYNECLARKE LLP, former Saint Mary’s Board of Governors Chair and Vice-Chair, literacy advocate, and award winning community organizer. Mr. Fitzpatrick will receive his Doctor of Civil law, Honoris Causa on May 19, 2017
- Dr. Donald Julien, a Mi’kmaw historian, human rights advocate, and leader with over 40 years of experience researching and documenting Mi’kmaw history. Dr. Julien will receive his Doctor of Civil Law, Honoris Causa on May 19, 2017.
“This year’s honorary degree recipients represent the fundamental Santamarian values of our university,” said Saint Mary’s University President Dr. Robert Summerby-Murray. “All five of the recipients are exemplars in their chosen fields whose contributions have helped shape for the better our communities on the local and global scale.”